The 8th Annual Harold I. Saperstein '31 Cornell Student Topical Sermon Contest challenges you to address:
How can we find a modern sexual ethics?
Sexual harassment has been in the news daily for the past several months. The #metoo campaign on social media has revealed just how widespread it is.
We cite a few recent writings on the subject:
- Andrews, N. (2018, February). House Revamps Sexual-Harassment Rules. The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved from https://www.wsj.com/articles/house-passes-sexual-harassment-revamp-1517945933
- Bernstein, E. (2018, February). The Role Power Plays in Sexual Harassment. The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved from https://www.wsj.com/articles/powers-role-in-sexual-harassment-1517844769
- Erika Brunson, 83, a board member of the Humane Society, when writing in opposition to the letting go of the Executive Director of the Society for his misconduct said, "Which red-blooded male hasn't sexually harassed somebody?" and added "women should be able to take care of themselves." - Bosman, J., Stevens, M., and Bromwich, J.E. (2018, February). Head of Humane Society Resigns After Claims of Misconduct. The New York Times National. Retrieved from http://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/02/us/humane-society-ceo-sexual-harassment.html
- Brown-Philpot, S. and Thomas, R. (2018, February). Don't Avoid Women, Mentor Them. The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved from https://www.wsj.com/articles/dont-avoid-women-mentor-them-1517776842
- "In every human encounter, there are inequalities of power, wealth, age, desire and multiple other variables. Yet only when action is taken (or attempted) to force the other party to do something unwanted that it becomes harassment." - Cantoni, J. (2018, February). Jane Austen on Sexual Harassment, Vol. III.. Wall Street Journal. Retrieved from www.wsj.com/articles/jane-austen-on-sexual-harassment-vol-iii-1517602935
- Ellison, J. (2018, February). Fire, fury and the problem with too much outrage. Financial Times. Retrieved from https://www.ft.com/content/5157666c-067b-11e8-9650-9c0ad2d7c5b5
- Feintzeig, R. and Koh, Y. (2018, February) Your Heart, Your Job and Dating a Co-Worker. The Wall St. Journal. Retrieved from https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/04/opinion/metoo-law-legal-system.html
- Konc, R. (2018, February). How to Dismiss Harassment Like a French Woman. The New Yorker, 2. Retrieved from www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018/02/05/how-to-dismiss-harassment-like-a-french-woman
- MacKinnon, C. A. (2018, February). #MeToo And Law's Limitations. The New York Times. Retrieved from https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/04/opinion/metoo-law-legal-system.html
- "The practice of a code of sexual ethics rooted in love, equality and reciprocity is the only antidote to sexual harassment and abuse." - Sarah, E. T. (2017, December). How can we find a modern sexual ethics? Look into the Bible. The Jewish Chronicle. Retrieved from https://www.pressreader.com/uk/the-jewish-chronicle/20171229/281986082930485
- Sisario, B. (2018, February). A #MeToo Spark Comes to the Music Industry. The New York Times. Retrieved from https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/01/arts/music/music-metoo-charlie-walk-neil-portnow.html
- "Society is demanding that companies, both public and private, serve a social purpose. To prosper over time, every company must not only deiver financial performance, but also show how it makes a positive contribution to society." Laurence D. Fink, the chief executive of the world's largest public companies. - Sorkin, A.R. (2018, January). A Demand for Change Backed Up By $6 Trillion. The New York Times. Retrieved from https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/15/business/dealbook/
- (2018, February) Harassment Claims Target 4 Missouri Lawmakers. PBS News Hour. Retrieved from https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/
How can we find a modern sexual ethics?
How shall we treat each other?
Can employment be affliction free?
Present a sermon. Your "Bully Pulpit" to speak on today's most important and cultural issues!